January is in full swing and so is winter in Florida! This basically means gorgeous weather along with occasional cold spells. Life’s tough when you’re living in paradise, right?
During these infrequent cold snaps, fireplaces are lit up and enjoyed! There’s nothing quite like the glow of a cozy fire and the “crack “of burning firewood!
Speaking of firewood, did you know you might be bringing in more than that bundle of firewood into your home? There could be spiders in there! Particularly troublesome is the thought of bringing in poisonous spiders, such as the black widow or brown recluse, that like to hide in places like these!
While most spiders aren’t the worst house guests to have since they are great natural pest control, the black widow and brown recluse are most certainly not any guests you want hanging around!
The brown recluse spider typically does not bite humans unless threatened. These spiders can produce painful bites and cause open sores. These half-inch wide, dark brown spiders love to build their webs in warm, dry, and dark environments, such as piles of firewood, closets and your shoes!
Similarly, black widow spiders do not seek out humans to bite; however, when they do bite, it can be extremely painful, especially for children and the elderly. These spiders, best known for the red hourglass shape on their abdomen, spin their webs close to the ground and are most often found in woodpiles and quiet, undisturbed areas.
Here are a few tips to help you avoid contact with these poisonous pests:
If a spider bites you, consider contacting your primary care physician for medical advice! Happy winter!
What’s pungent, round, and poisonous? No, not your Great Aunt Mildred’s meatballs! Mothballs! Yup, those round, rather innocuous-looking little balls are highly toxic!
And no one can ever forget the smell of a mothball once they’ve encountered it, right? (usually in Grandma’s closet!)
Mothballs are intended to be used to kill clothes moths and their eggs in garment bags, storage closets, and airtight containers—hence the name mothballs—however, people have been known to get creative with their mothballs.
Some individuals believe mothballs are good for repelling mice and spread them throughout their kitchen and attic. They also spread them outside the perimeter of their home as a wildlife repellent. This is not a good idea, and is, in fact, dangerous!
Mothballs are actually considered a pesticide due to the chemicals they contain. Any use of them in a way not specified by the label is illegal and can harm people, pets, or the environment.
Two of the active ingredients in mothballs, naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene, both become a gas when exposed to air and cause that pungent moth ball smell. However, it’s these same gases that are highly irritating to the eyes and lungs and may cause headaches, dizziness and nausea. Small children are known to be at risk of eating mothballs, because they look like small candy; one mothball can cause serious harm if eaten by a small child!
The bottom line is to only use them according to their label so you can stay safe! If someone you know has swallowed a mothball, call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for emergency medical advice. If you think your pet has eaten one, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Additionally, if you think you might have mice, please don’t reach for the mothballs, call us! We have proven, natural ways to help you get rid of these rodents. Contact us today!
Source: The Facts About Mothballs