Spring is here and so are blooming flowers, spring showers, and… carpenter ants! While you may be enjoying the sun and fresh air during this lovely season, carpenter ants may be enjoying your property and your HOME!
Carpenter Ant Facts
- Carpenter ants are large ants, usually measuring about 1/5-1/2 inch and brown and/or black in color.
- Carpenter ant swarms usually occur in the late spring and are a sign that a colony is nearby!
- Winged carpenter ants can be distinguished from termites by their larger size and shape of their antennae, waist and wings.
- Carpenter ants damage wood by hollowing it out for nesting, not eating it!
- Wood which has been damaged by carpenter ants does not contain mud-like material or mud tunnels, like you see with subterranean termites.
- Carpenter ants prefer wet, rotting, unsound wood. This means nests are more likely to be found in wood dampened by water leaks, such as around sinks, bathtubs, and poorly sealed windows.
- Nests are especially common in moist, hollow spaces such as the wall void behind a dishwasher.
- Carpenter ants can make nests in a number of different locations, which can be inside or outside a structure.
- They have better eye sight than other ants.
- Carpenter ants generate glycerol in their bodies when temperatures fall as a type of antifreeze!
- They produce formic acid to ward off intruders and THEY BITE.
Carpenter Ant Prevention
So, what can you do to prevent these large bugs from bugging you? Here are a few helpful tips:
- Correct and seal any roof leaks, plumbing leaks and other moisture problems.
- Clip back tree limbs and vegetation touching the roof or side of your house. Carpenter ants love to use limbs and branches as “bridges” into your home!
- Seal cracks and openings in the foundation.
- Stack firewood away from the foundation and elevate it off the ground. Never store firewood in the garage or other areas of the home, as firewood is a FAVORITE spot of carpenter ants!
If you suspect you have carpenter ants, contact us right away! We are the Gulf Coast’s leader in natural pest control and would love to serve you with our eco-superior products and our outstanding service!