Spring is here and it’s time to do something fun with the family! How about making a dirt cake with bugs in it? What? Yeah, a dirt cake with bugs! It doesn’t really have dirt in it, but yummy brownies crumbled up to look like dirt and it is delicious. And relax, the bugs aren’t real either!
Here’s the fun recipe:
- Brownie Mix
- 8 eggs
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Cocoa powder
- Bake the brownies as directed. Add an extra egg and an extra tablespoon of water to the batter in order to make them more cake-like and dryer – perfect for crumbling!
- While that is baking, heat the cream to make your mousse. Heat it until it is starting to steam, add the eggs and beat on high. While it is mixing, add a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder. Place the cream mix into the refrigerator to set while your brownies finish baking and cool completely.
- A couple hours later, when the brownies are room temperature and the cream is chilled, crumble the brownies, mix the cream into the brownie crumbles till everything is moistened. Add this mixture to a bowl (or a new flower pot to make it really look like a dirt cake). Be sure to reserve some of the brownie crumbles and pour them on top of cake to look like wet dirt.
- Now for the super fun part, decorate the top of your dirt cake with bugs and grass with the following fun ingredients:
- Gummy Worms
- Nerds (ants)
- Chocolate Chips
- Peanuts (beetles)
- Dried Cranberries ( lady bugs)
- Green sprinkles (grass)
- Coconut (inch worms)
Now round up your family members and enjoy this delicious dirt cake! Happy Spring!