What’s pungent, round, and poisonous? No, not your Great Aunt Mildred’s meatballs! Mothballs! Yup, those round, rather innocuous-looking little balls are highly toxic!
And no one can ever forget the smell of a mothball once they’ve encountered it, right? (usually in Grandma’s closet!)
Mothballs are intended to be used to kill clothes moths and their eggs in garment bags, storage closets, and airtight containers—hence the name mothballs—however, people have been known to get creative with their mothballs.
Some individuals believe mothballs are good for repelling mice and spread them throughout their kitchen and attic. They also spread them outside the perimeter of their home as a wildlife repellent. This is not a good idea, and is, in fact, dangerous!
Mothballs are actually considered a pesticide due to the chemicals they contain. Any use of them in a way not specified by the label is illegal and can harm people, pets, or the environment.
Two of the active ingredients in mothballs, naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene, both become a gas when exposed to air and cause that pungent moth ball smell. However, it’s these same gases that are highly irritating to the eyes and lungs and may cause headaches, dizziness and nausea. Small children are known to be at risk of eating mothballs, because they look like small candy; one mothball can cause serious harm if eaten by a small child!
The bottom line is to only use them according to their label so you can stay safe! If someone you know has swallowed a mothball, call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for emergency medical advice. If you think your pet has eaten one, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Additionally, if you think you might have mice, please don’t reach for the mothballs, call us! We have proven, natural ways to help you get rid of these rodents. Contact us today!
Source: The Facts About Mothballs