If you haven’t noticed, it’s been a wet summer here in our beautiful Sunshine state. We’ve been doused with frequent and repeated downpours and thunderstorms day after day! Unfortunately, this has caused great disruption for our usual summer activities like golfing, going to amusement parks, or spending time at our beloved beaches.
But we’re not the only ones who have had their daily activities disrupted—ants are looking for dryer and higher ground, too, thanks to the soaking storms! And with more than 10,000 known ant species around the world, we’re almost positive you have some scoping out your house right now!
Why do they do this? Since certain species of ants build their colonies underground, when the soil becomes saturated with rain water, they need a safe, dry place to escape the rain and forage for food, usually your kitchen!
While there’s nothing we can do about the weather, there are some things you can do to get rid of these little problems.
5 Natural Repellents for Ants
If you’ve been invaded, give these natural methods a shot!
- Cayenne pepper: Sprinkle it near the opening where ants enter your home.
- Lemon Juice: Mix lemon juice with water. Pour in a spray bottle and spray the mixture on the places where you see ants.
- Instant grits: Sprinkle the grits along the path where you see ants. It’s theorized that grits act as a dehydrator in the ant’s body, absorbing all the water.
- White Vinegar: Mix white vinegar with water and spray along ant paths.
- Cinnamon: Mix cinnamon with water and spray it where you see ants. (This smells delicious, too!)
And don’t forget a main preventative measure as well—be sure to seal all cracks in and around your home so ants can’t find a way in! And if they do come in and you can’t get rid of them, contact us. We’re happy to help you get rid of ants with our superior green pest control.
We LOVE being and living green at Good News Pest Solutions. We have defined what it means to be “organic” and “green” in our industry by only using 100% all natural products. We find that these eco-superior products are not only safe, but more effective than the original formulas. Coupled with other products that utilize naturally occurring elements found in nature, Good News has been able to provide the same pest-free living guarantee, with no risk to your health.