Safe Natural Ways to Get Rid of Love Bugs!
Macy's Pest Control Sarasota
- Published on Friday, 13 September 2013 15:59
- Written by Macy's - Good News Pest Solutions
Now that love bug season is upon us again in Florida, we thought we would re-share our series on love bugs! Here is part 2 originally published on February 22, 2013….
Last week, in honor of Valentine’s Day, we talked about love bugs! Unfortunately, they’re really not that lovable. They stick to your car and ruin its paint job, gather in the corners of your house and stink, and well, they’re just a pain!
So, what can you do about these annoying, but pretty much harmless insects?
Sit tight and read on…Good News Pest Solutions has a solution (in fact, several!) for you!
Here’s a few natural, yet effective ways to get rid of lovebugs in your home…
- Insect spray on your door: Spray your entire door with any kind of insect spray This will keep them off your door and potentially kill them as well.
- Blow them away with a fan: Turn up the ceiling fan to keep them from flying inside the house.
- Light some mosquito candles: Light a bunch of mosquito repellent candles inside your house or in your porch to drive them away.
- Make your own insect spray: Did you know you can make your own insect spray? Yup, you can. Mix warm water with a citrus-scented detergent, like an orange or lemon dish soap. Add a splash of mouthwash to the mixture, and then shake it well. Put in spray bottle, and start spraying your plants and the walls of your house with it. Bugs will leave these areas alone.
- Use a vacuum cleaner: Sucking them in with a vacuum cleaner is probably the easiest way to get rid of love bugs, and fun too! Use this in confined areas to control swarming and piling.
- Always keep your lawn mowed: Love bug larvae grow in thatch. Thatch is that layer of living and dead organic matter that occurs between the green matter and the soil surface of your grass. So this means you need to cut your grass regularly to prevent it from growing long and producing too much thatch. When you mow, cut off only the top one-third of the grass to reduce possible breeding grounds for love bugs.
To get them off your car, try these ideas…
- Cooking spray on your car: Use a thin layer of cooking spray on the front and side mirrors of your car before you drive. This will help make removing the insects much easier. After driving, immediately get a water hose and flush down the splattered insects from your car…the sooner you get them off, the better!
- Wax your car: Some car waxes are specially formulated to reduce the effects of splattered insects. Wax your car right before the start of love bug season to reduce their deleterious effects.
Hope these ideas help to keep those amorous insects out of your life and your house! And if you have other bugs bugging you, contact us right away—we’d love to help! We use only the best organic products to eliminate bugs from your home. We’re proud to be green!